In just three simple steps, a school can establish an NEHS chapter. (Note that parents and students cannot apply to establish a chapter. Please share this information with local school officials.)
Step 1: Prepare to Apply
There are a few things to do to prepare to apply for a chapter.
- Review the National Elementary Honor Society Constitution and make sure your school is willing to comply with it.
- Select a chapter adviser. This faculty member will supervise the chapter—its operation, files, and other duties.
- Appoint a faculty council. The council meets at least once a year to select new NEHS members and review and revise chapter procedures.
Step 2: Complete a New Chapter Application
The annual fee is $84. You can complete an application online.
Step 3: Get Ready to Begin
The national office will notify you once your chapter is approved, and you’ll receive welcome materials. Once your chapter is approved, you will have access to the NEHS Handbook and member-only portions of this website. These resources will help your chapter to develop:
- Chapter bylaws, including determining membership criteria and an outline for completing service projects.
- Selection procedures, including choosing an induction date for new members. You’ll need to publish selection procedures and make those procedures available.
- Chapter service projects, meetings, and other activities to build and support an active chapter at your school.
As you await approval, we encourage you to browse this website and become more familiar with the National Elementary Honor Society.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-253-7746, option 4.
You can also follow NEHS on Facebook.